- 84 views
- By Uber Energy
Tesla sent shockwaves through the EV charging world as they launched the latest in Tesla charging technology, a universal wall charging system with CCS and NACS outputs. Tesla is targeting all EV drivers with their latest charging solution that automatically determines which charging plug you need.
Based on the Tesla Magic Dock; this universal wall charging solution draws on designs from the successful supercharging stations. Tesla’s magic dock serves as a receptacle for the supercharger handle – but when unlocked by a non-Tesla owner the charger automatically reconfigures and sticks a J1772 plug out.
Now Tesla is utilizing this design for at home and commercial Level 2 charging solutions. Teslas new charging system retains the original look and form factor as the standard Tesla Wall Connector, but increases functionality with the additional J1772 conversion option.
Features (from Tesla’s website)
- Up to 44 mi of range added per hour at 11.5 kW / 48 amp output
- Integrated J1772 adapter to conveniently charge any electric vehicle
- Auto-sensing handle to open a Tesla charge port
- Monitor and manage your charging schedule and usage from the Tesla app
- Wi-Fi connectivity for over-the-air updates, remote diagnostics and access controls
- Versatile indoor / outdoor design
- Variable amperage configurations depending on installation location
- Power-share with up to six Wall Connectors
- 24-foot cable length
- Four-year warranty for residential use
Tesla’s new charging solution is priced at $595, a small premium in comparison to their standard wall charger. Deliveries are scheduled to begin in October 2023.